Self-care: The Art of Creating in Challenging Times





The challenges of dealing with self-quarantine, self-isolation, seclusion and social distancing can take a toll on your mental, physical and emotional health.

However, this experience reminds me of when I was laid off from my job in 2007. I took the time to refocus my energy into developing a passion for acrylic painting. It was the most blissful summer of peace that I’ve ever experienced. 

I shifted my focus from stress to creativity. I received an overflow of ideas and was inspired to experiment with different colors and textures as well as new techniques.
Since I had no control over my work situation, I released my doubts and fears to stepping into a fresh, creative space and never looked back.

Going to Michael’s, JoAnn’s and Hobby Lobby was like going to a candy store! I looked forward to picking out new paintbrushes and canvas. It was like a breath of fresh air to escape the daily stress and frustration of being unemployed. Painting took my mind off of my worries.



I also enjoyed going to Barnes and Nobles to flip through art magazines to gain inspiration and to learn more about the art field. My imagination expanded which prompted me to explore watercolor and even designing jewelry.

Times have drastically changed since then and although you are quarantined, you have the option to connect with other art communities online where you can communicate with other artists on social media. You also have the ability to take online courses or webinars. Those options were not available in 2007.

Although you don’t have the opportunity to browse around the stores, you can still shop online to purchase the supplies that you need to get you started.

In difficult times, you need to shift your focus and change your perspective. You have to get out of your comfort zone. You have to be able to let go of the past and embrace the present situation. You have to learn to be content. Everything is a process.

Art is therapy and a form of mediation used to heal emotionally, mentally and physically. Often, music is also used to heal the sick. It also calms the soul. You can also incorporated this method. It’s relaxing to listen to your favorite music while painting. 



Self care is not only related to facials, body massages and pedicures, there is several benefits to learning a new skill or hobby to gain a peace of mind or to develop your personal or professional goals.

Whatever art form you prefer to develop, whether you are a baker, musician, artist, writer, designer, or other creative, it is a season of self-reflection and self-expression. 

Step into a new season with hope and inspiration. Be kind to yourself and don't be discouraged. Change your perspective and watch your mood shift.

Sending you positive vibes! :)



Comments

Popular Posts